Thursday, November 1, 2007

Whale Watching!

Ever since we moved here I have wanted to go Whale Watching and this fall we got to go with with the HBS Partner's Club on campus. It was so much fun. Isaac and I went out on the front of the boat as it made its way to the feeding grounds. The water was pretty choppy so we had people pucking all around us, but if you stood out on the front of the boat, it felt like you were on a roller coaster ride going up and then catching air and free falling. It was pretty fun. We also got to see quite a few whales, it was pretty cool watching them come up with their mouths open catching all the fish and then going back down and slapping the water with their tails. Both of the boys were pretty entertained by it as well and Jonathan and I. The experience was very educational. On the way back a couple of marine biologists came around the boat to answer any questions that we might have. It was a fun and educational day for the Clark family. Some interesting facts: After a whale has died the only way to tell how old he was is by cutting open his ear drum and counting how many layers of wax that it had in its ear, because every year a whale lays down a layer of wax. They also use to think that whales only lived to be about 100 years old, but just recently a whale was hit and killed by an oil tanker and as it was being harvested they found a harpooning spear that was dated to be 150 years to 200 years old, so now they are looking at the age of whales a whole different way. The world around us is pretty cool!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Deb! you're looking gorgeous! I love the hair.

Erin said...

Deb...you are gorgeous! sad that I'm away more than I'm home and have to check the blogs to stay up to date when you live 2 minutes away!!