Sunday, June 17, 2007

!!!BAHAMAS!!!

Jonathan and I were able to celebrate our 10 year anniversary in the Bahamas. We spent 6 nights and 7 days in the beautiful crystal clear water and soft sandy beaches. We arrived the evening of the 9th which was Saturday. We checked in and then it was off to explore our new surroundings. Sunday morning we woke up and headed for down town Nassau to do some sight seeing of the historical aspect of the island. We saw Queen Victoria, the first Bahamian Governor and Christopher Columbus, who was situated very nicely in front of the Governors Mansion. We even explored the "Straw Market", next time I am going to bring some cash so I can get me a Kate Spade bag, they had some really cute ones for almost nothing. While we were walking through the long hallways of the straw market an elderly man stopped us and said something that I couldn't understand except the word "christian". Finally after a couple of tries to understand him, a nice woman on the other side of the hallway translated for us. She said that he was asking us if we were Christian. I nodded yes and then he said something about a glow. I caught the gist of what he was saying when the woman said; "they must have Jesus flown' through them veins of theirs if they be glown' that bright". We laughed and chit chatted a bit and then we were on our way. They were very nice people. I also want to purchase one of his carvings when I go back. He had some really awesome pieces. The first couple of days were a bit odd because we weren't sure quite what to do with ourselves since we didn't have the boys attached to us. We missed them, but were grateful to have a full nights sleep. Jonathan consoled himself by making friends with the pina colada machine. She was his new found girlfriend. I suppose it was a blessing that I like strawberry dacaris and that the machines were side by side, we probably wouldn't have seen each other as much as we did. :) Monday was a big day for me. I faced two of my demons. The first was fear of drowning in the ocean and the second being claustrophobic. How did I do this you ask, Jonathan taught me how to snorkel. Once I got the hang of breathing under water it was very relaxing. It was fun to watch Jonathan, he was like a little kid in a candy store. We found some starfish, conch shells and I saw a sting ray gliding along the reef. It was pretty cool. Tuesday we went out exploring in a kayak. When we got in the groove we could fly in that thing. It was a lot of fun. I wish we could have snorkeled out where we were, because we saw some huge starfish and conch shells, but there were wave runners and motor boats. Wednesday was the high light of the trip. We took a snorkeling cruise with "Stuarts Cove's". We had so much fun. Our captain and his first mate were pretty funny, which made for a good time. They took us to three different sites. The first was called "Hollywood Bowl" because so many movies are filmed in this area. We saw some beautiful fish as well as coral. The second stop was the set of Jaws 4, they even still had the plane on the bottom of the ocean floor which was pretty cool. The third stop we got to swim with Caribbean Reef Sharks. This event was a bit nerve wracking but also quite surreal. We had about 20 to 30 sharks as well as other fish swimming under us and at times around us. It truly was amazing. Thursday was a relaxing walk into Nassau. We originally wanted to walk over to Paradise Island where Atlantis is and check things out. On our way over a man in a car stopped us and asked us if we were going over. I thought that he was a taxi driver, so I told him no we didn't need a ride. He then said; "What is going to happen when I drive back across the bridge and you are walking across"?. After that we decided to turn around and have lunch in a little cafe. I asked about him as the front desk when we got back, but no one could explain his odd behavior. It was really strange. The rest of the day we played in the pool and the ocean. Friday was the journey back to reality. We pretty much packed up, checked out and watched the US Open while we waited for our transfer to the air port. All in all it was a fabulous trip that was much needed.

0 comments: